Planning that once-in-a-lifetime gap year experience? Looking for ideas on how to raise funds for your adventure? Thought we’d share a few ideas to get you started.
Here are just a few examples of how you can work to make your gap year adventure happen. Remember, it’s never too early to get started.
- Jump on your laptop or phone and reach out to your community. This can include a calling or letter writing campaign to family, your church, local businesses or your regional Chamber of Commerce.
- Set up a crowdsourcing page and share it with everyone you know. Make sure that you clearly explain your goal, state how you’ll use the money, and why you need it. Ask everyone to share it with their friends and colleagues.
Go with the “tried and true.”
- Think about organizing a car wash, hosting a garage sale, or holding a series of bake sales. These events and tasks can be fun and help you save up for your next big adventure!
- Do you have a birthday coming up? Ask for donations toward your gap year fund instead of another video game, book or pair of jeans.
Use your gifts
- Have a special talent or hobby? If you love to draw or knit, why not hop on a website like Etsy to sell some of your handmade drawings or scarves?
- Work! Why not get a part-time job, babysit or walk dogs for your neighbors, or offer tutoring services? There’s even apps to help set you up with jobs like these
Hopefully this list will jump start other ideas and inspire you.
Remember to stay positive and don’t give up! Winterline also offers scholarships and the ability to pay with 529 College Savings Plan or AmeriCorps Education Award. Also, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to keep up with our special discounts. For more ideas and for a list of scholarships and grants, visit the resources section of the American Gap Association site.