Who We Look For
At Winterline, we don’t expect you to fit the usual mold. That is why we are open to considering a wide variety of students. You don’t have to be a geek, you don’t have to be a nerd, you don’t have to be a particular race, class, or gender. You don’t have to be a straight ‘A’ student either, though we probably won’t mind if you are. Instead of your grades, we are going to be looking at what kind of person you are and what you will bring to this incredible experience.
Are you adventurous? Willing to think outside the box? Are you interested in global issues? Are you open to new experiences? Are you willing to challenge yourself in ways you haven’t before? Are you considering a field of study, but not sure it’s right for you?
If you are thinking about joining us, here are the kinds of experiences you can expect on our programs:
- Exploring the mountains, practicing forestry skills, such as trail building, fire prevention, and baking over a campfire
- Creating glass art in Europe using age-old techniques
- Waiting tables and preparing meals at a boutique tourist hotel in Cambodia
- Playing cricket in 100-degree heat with disabled children in a village in India
- Building and programming a robot to maneuver through an obstacle course in a competition against other robots in Austria
- Spending all day putting up the walls of a house that you have built in Costa Rica using local materials
- Deciding—by consensus—how your group is going to spend the remaining money in your startup project budget in Boston.
Are these the sorts of experiences you are willing to put yourself through and grow from?
We are looking for young adults age 18-22, who are independent, motivated, flexible, interested in the world around them, willing to ‘rough it’ when the situation demands, enthusiastic, and able to work well in a team. We want you to be thoughtful, patient, resourceful, open to new ideas and new ways of thinking.
If this describes who you are—or who you are willing to become —then join us on this adventure of a lifetime!